Saturday, March 15, 2008

Should I Stay Or Should I Go

Wanted: Six more science classes to fulfill my pre-requisites...plus a tall, dark and handsome man with a large bank account who's greatest desire will be to pay for the next several years of my education and sponsor my bi-monthly pedicures.

....maybe that's a bit much to ask for. How about I just win the lottery.

I'm thick in the application process for post baccalaureate premedical programs across the country. I've narrowed my choices down to both places I could see myself living and places where I could possibly suck it up for a couple of years. Drum roll please:

University of Southern California - Already have friends and family here, great program and I could learn how to surf
University of Oregon - Already have friends here, very similar to my current home and I could learn how to ride my bike in the snow
Montana State University - have one potential friend there and plenty of mountain men to go around. Could also learn how to snow board and cross country ski to school
Harvard - It's all in the name. But, could I really go back to the cold?
University of Pennsylvania - My doctor uncle went here and my dad began his PhD here, so there are some family ties. I've also felt Phillie is an underrated city. But, again, the cold?
American University - Hmmmm. Might drop applying to this one
Georgetown - Got in once as an undergrad, but it was too expensive. Love the Georgetown area and I have plenty of memories there as a kid visiting family. Have both family and friends there, and it would be a 5/6 hour drive to my parents and/or brother and sis-n-laws in each direction
University of North Carolina Greensboro - Warmer, closer, red-neckier. But, I am a Carolina girl at heart
Armstrong Atlantic State University Savannah, GA: Savannah, GA is a comfort town to me. Memories of childhood as well as proximity to the folks
University of Miami: Will Smith wasn't wrong. Doctor uncle lives in Ft. Lauderdale and teaches at the University

And, then there is my hometown University, which doesn't offer a program per se, but I will be groveling to them next week to let me into their premedical program as an undergraduate transfer.

For those who may not understand why I am applying outside of my happy place here in hometown X, students applying to med school from your basic premed program have a 50% chance of acceptance. Students applying from premedical postbacc programs see at least an 85% acceptance rate. I might be too old to risk a 50% chance of not getting accepted. Although, I am not opposed to attending med school in the Caribbean.

No comments: