Friday, March 28, 2008

Grasping at Air

Grasping at Air - I believe it is a Buddhist saying that describes the feeling of trying to make something happen, or trying to know the unknowable. The sad, or perhaps unburdening truth is that someday, we are going to die. Kaput. Show over. Elvis has left the building.

Death is the only guarantee we get in life. But, this shouldn't be considered sad. It should be considered an invitation to do as much as we can possibly do, and fit in as much as we can possibly fit into this one life we get. As my grandma used to say, "This ain't dress rehearsal!"

But, lately, I have found myself grasping at air to know one thing...are the feelings and interests I have symptomatic of a "future doctor." Every time I am around a physician, I tell them my reasons for going back to school and why I haven't gone down this road before. I know my path is unique, but I always hope that my reasons sound to them compatible with someone who decides to enter medicine.

The truth is, you can tell your story and reasons for choosing something until you are blue in the face. You can ask questions, do research and get as close to a comfortable answer as possible. But, you can never know how your life will turn out post career change until you take the leap and try.

I might lack a crystal ball, but I would say that I've got some other balls of my own that help me along the way of my new adventure.

No comments: