Saturday, March 15, 2008

Inspirational Reading

For someone such as myself with a background in creative writing, I've always found it a bit out-of-character that I prefer non-fiction to fiction. I've even developed an affinity to WWII novels about the Pacific. Go figure!

Over the last year, I've been soaking up medical story after medical story. Most of them are about the medical profession written by doctors. The latest book I picked up is called Treatment Kind and Fair by Perri Klass, M.D. On rare occasions, I jump into a book with joy and excitement from the first sentence. Let's see, there was Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing, Ethan Frome, To Kill a Mockingbird....and Treatment Kind and Fair.

I can't remember if I read the fold on her bio first, or after I started reading. No matter when, the similarities between us are inspiring. I may not know Dr. Klass, but she is what I want to be: a pediatrician with a love of writing who has written several books; a Journalism professor; a mother.

Dr Klass started having her children when she was in med school. I love hearing stories like this. Trust me, I am not romanticizing having children in med school, but one of the reasons I've chose to wait this long to go back is because I wanted to start a family first. This said, I know I have the energy, quirky sensibility and drive to handle school and children if I am blessed enough to meet their father. It won't be easy, but it won't be impossible either.

No comments: