Thursday, September 11, 2008

My First Week of Class

I'm back in school this week at UTexas Extension in Austin. It's night school, but the classes are the same. So, while I maintain my full-time job at a well known computer company, I study organic chemistry and physics. Ain't nuttin' but a thang!

It's actually pretty hard starting out. My focus is constantly switching from one extreme to the next. I want to be at work when I'm studying and I want to be studying when I am at work. Hopefully, this is just a typical transition phase and I'll be better trained to compartmentalize my day in the coming weeks.

The material is pretty neat. But, then again, we've all concluded that I am kind of a nerd. We talk about hybridized orbitals and resonance structures in orgo, and physics has me learning things like significant digits and uncertainty. Who knew that when you add up numbers the actual result could be in question by + or - a point! I begin to question the validity of science when the learnings get overly esoteric. But, then again, that's just science.

I found it interesting in my Physics book today that science was described as a "creative pursuit." Most of us wouldn't pick that adjective. But, when you think about the great scientists over the centuries: Galileo, Newton, Einstein; they all thought outside of the box, imaginatively and creatively to even begin playing around with numbers and standards to prove their theories.

Yep, I'm a nerd.

What really cinches it, though? I bought one of those large, rain shower heads to replace the one I had been using for the last 2 and half years - you know, the kind you have to dance around the shower to get a drop or two. I thought maybe there was no water pressure in my house, period. But, after installing my new, fancy, European-looking shower head...Voila! It's the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I tested it once after I installed it, and then I just turned it on again for kicks before bed to just watch the water flow. Flow, baby! Flow!

Wow! I need to get out of the house tomorrow night. Call the cops if I start posting about some new lint removal contraption or the installation of a craft-matic adjustable bed.

No comments: