Saturday, September 27, 2008

Brain Freeze!

My brain is frozen. Not from deciphering the acid or base in an organic reaction, but from imagining an America that would vote McCain for president.

McCain is a nice guy. At one time, I admired him greatly. He was a maverick in my book. I've read his biography, I used to watch him on the senate floor when I was in high school and remark on his independent thought, his courage and his decision making capabilities.

I'm not sure where that John McCain went. I am only a little over half way through the Friday night presidential debate, and don't quite understand how Americans deny straight facts. Facts you can find via a congressional log. It's all out there in plain sight. Some of the darts McCain is throwing at Obama right now are blunted with erasers on their tips because made up, or half truths of reality.

Watching the two of them debate, I feel like I'm in third grade and the big bully in my class just accused me of throwing the eraser when in reality, no one threw it, he just felt like blaming it's fall from the chalk board on someone other than himself.

Politicians are not saints and are far from perfect. Just as I have written about the human side of physicians, politicians are no different. They are just taller children with a little more background, knowledge and life experience. However, when it comes to acting like "an adult," it seems our leaders revert to their insecurities and vulnerabilities. I am specifically referring to Obama's occasional stuttering and McCain's inability to even once look Obama in the eye. The first point, I found illuminating of Obama's youth and the second I found condescending and un-shockingly in step with McCain's consistent lack of deference or respect.

You may be a Maverick sir, in your mind, but you are not Mature. With maturity comes the know-how to look your opponent in the eye, and prove that you are the better of you two. All our young rearing revolves around this simple concept - Rise Above; Don't Stoop to Their Level. Turn the Other Cheek.

So, I'm left tonight with a cringing eyeball as if I just bit my front teef first into a scoop of Cookie's n' Cream. And, not over who I will vote for in November, but why this election is so close. Do, I have anything in common with the average American voter anymore? Am I really that different that I see this election one way, and the people I hear in the news and online see these two men so personally?

I don't get it, but it's time for me to go to bed anyway after I finish up this delicious bowl of Chocolate, Cocunut milk ice-cream. It's my only solace in these times.

No comments: