Sunday, May 11, 2008

My New Camera!

Finally! It has arrived. My new Canon Rebel Xti, digital SLR camera. I can't take a picture of it :) so I am providing this link

Soon this blog will be rife with pictures. For now, you will just have to read and use your imaginations.

Performed many volunteer duties in the ER today, including watching over a one-year-old baby post drainage surgery while his 11-year-old sister kept him smiling and somewhat relaxed. It must be very strange to be one, groggy and unable to truly move around or be picked up while six wires and tubes stretch out from your body. But, he did great, and even responded to me when I gave him "high-fives!" Unfortunately, he didn't completely trust me because his sister thinks I looked like a doctor. A high compliment in some regard, as well as the tough reality that one day, kids won't like me very much. I don't like to think about it.

Also trained in the oncology unit this week. I've always had an affinity for children with cancer. I like taking their mind of the bad stuff and getting them to smile. It's occurring to me more and more that being a physician will mean not being able to make kids smile, being scary, being hated and being a bad memory.

Someday, though, I will take great pride in any drawings or popsicle arts and crafts collages the children I treat make for me. My goal isn't to have great wealth (because as we all know, I will be a government employee by the time I graduate), but to have a couple of those macaroni, construction paper likenesses of me hanging in my practice.

No comments: