Monday, January 26, 2009

Event Planning and Katie - Like Oil and Water

There is nothing more I despise in life than planning a work event. My arm muscles tense up from the mere thought of it. I would rather be in charge of creating long excel lists, fetching coffee or taking a hot poker to by inner nostril.

But, here again, I find myself tasked with leading our team to our annual sales meeting this year. I don't doubt for one second being a woman with some experience managing events has something to do with it. But, in general, I feel pretty strongly that women across industries globally are looked to more than men to be the event planners. And, I think that's horrible.

Every fiber of my being revolts at planning a work event. It never represents my best work, and only serves to show what I can falter at and what I can get wrong.

I vow, never, no matter the circumstance, will I plan another work event after this one. They'll have to offer me a $100,000 bonus first.

No comments: