Monday, January 26, 2009

Me and the Punks

I have survived my first week of Biology at UTexas Austin. We are focusing primarily on cell biology and the Eukaryotes! Yippee! I'm a nerd!


















Above is a Eukaryotic cell structure. It's the stuff inside our cells. It includes one of my favorite words: "endoplasmic reticulum."


My professor is your classic, text book biology professor. He looks like a chubbier McFly and sounds a lot like him, too. Today he gave us a lesson on attending class regularly, and followed it by saying, "But, I am your teacher and not a preacher." Are you getting the picture?

Still, no matter how dotty or sweet and soft spoken he may be, there is no excuse for rudely packing your things 5 minutes to the end of class - while your teacher is talking. I take deep breaths just to keep myself from standing up and yelling, "Sit your punk asses back down!"

If you are wondering what it's like to go back to undergrad (when you have a master's degree), it's not easy. I am there to learn and it's apparent every day that I may be one of very few in my class. Last week the kid next to me was sleeping - ON THE FIRST DAY! Today, the girl in front of me was playing solitaire on her computer.

I guess the real take away from this experience - and a positive one at that - is that I can truly see through my classmates how much I have grown as an adult. I am so vastly different from them on that level. Getting older does have some perks.

1 comment:

Maya said...

huh... i look at that picture and think avocado. just me? anyone? i say stick that thing on a taco!