Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We Did It!


For almost six months now, I have felt tense about this election. Worried, that a country that elected George W. Bush to two terms, would make a horrible mistake once again, and deny the highest post in the world to the most deserving candidate.

Four years ago, when John Kerry lost the presidential election and Bush entered the office for another four years, I felt sad for our country. I felt consumed by mediocrity and the fact that our place in the world would surely fall a few notches. It did. And, most in part, because the rest of the world, and Americans themselves, look to our leaders to set the tone for quality, organization, inspiration and movement upward. Unfortunately, Bush brought a sense of banality to the presidential office and a rogue disregard for outside opinion and thoughtful consideration of what ails the world.

Last night, I never felt more proud to say, "I am an American!" The dream of what America stands for is not a "fairytale" as President Clinton said about Obama. The dream of America is alive and kicking. It's a dream come true in our next president, Barrack Hussein Obama. I just love the way that sounds. So, diverse, colorful and tolerant.

And behind the dream there is substance. President-elect Obama is intelligent, thoughtful and reasonable. He has a history of surrounding himself with conservative, liberals and independents so that he can get a full perspective of the issues. What a breath of fresh air we breath today.

Not everything will be perfect. We have quite the mess of things at home and abroad. But, one of the great qualities of the president of the United States is that when done well, he or she can inspire the nation and the world to work toward success. Because he can't do it alone.

My biggest take away from President-elect Obama's speech in Chicago's Grant Park (named for the Union Army General Ulysses S. Grant who fought for the end of slavery - how poignant) last night was this: he needs our help. He needs the American people to give back. I've been thinking for some time that I would join the National Health Services Corp after I achieve my degree in medicine. Last night's speech made it all that more important to do this. And, if not the NHSC, I have also thought of enlisting in one of the armed forces to help pay for my schooling. In the end, I would owe 3 -4 years of service. I couldn't feel more ready to accept that honor.

Thank you Obama for working so hard to realize this dream for America and the world. It couldn't have happened anywhere else but the U.S.A!

No comments: