Monday, October 27, 2008

Super Saturation to Super Caffeination

I'd taken a leave from the blog because I reached my political saturation point. I was the sugar at the bottom of a Dunkin' Donuts coffee cup.

It's been a good escape from the U.S. political scene. Nine days in counting until Election Day. What's meant to be, will be.

In the meantime, I've bombed my first Organic Chemistry exam, but pulling fantastic grades in Physics. Who would have thunk it?!

Fall is settling in on Austin....THANK GOD! I've already started to think of ways I can leave Austin next summer and study somewhere else for 5 months. I love this city, don't get me wrong. I also love Texas. Partly because of it's strong culture (it's no joke - people really do wear 10-gallon hats, boots and drive large, frightening vehicles that I secretly love), but also because of it's legacy in our current political environment. I like being a part of the bigger movement. Even if it's tinged with shame.

However, by the end of May last year, we had already surpassed our typical number of days over 100 degrees. It was like wearing polyester to a sauna. I would look at mother's with small children and wonder if they kept them inside on summer days. I am sure some neurons melted together to form the part of my brain that won't except understanding Lewis structures.

Alas, those are distant memories and the cool north winds breeze upon us this morning.

Yesterday at my volunteer job, walking through the halls of the Emergency room, I got a great rush. I just love being there. Sometimes the acrid smells get to me, but the staff and the feeling of being around people you can help is pretty darn cool.

The other night I had a fantastic dream. I was an intern in a hospital donning a lab coat and scrubs. I forgot, however, my shoes! Luckily, in my dream world, there was a shoe kiosk near one of the floor desks. It was like the cloak room in elementary school where you would leave your stuff to change into more appropriate stuff. This meant that all that was left in the kiosk were high heels and funny slippers. I looked into one of the heels and saw that they were Easy Spirits.

What's meant to be, will be.

No comments: